Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Childhood Thanksgivings



My childhood Thanksgiving's make me feel stuffed just thinking about them!

Mom rousted us all out of bed very early in the morning (easy for her, hard on us) to begin helping with the meal preparations.  Every year my biggest job was set the table, getting out the special dishes kept in the bottom of the hutch -- I still do this job every year!  I also helped with various jobs around the kitchen.  We always had a pretty formal sit-down meal, with nice dishes and glasses and everything loaded elegantly on our dining room table.

We always had turkey, chicken and dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, corn, rolls, fruit salad, some kind of other veggie, and dessert.  Dessert was usually something different year to year, as Mom tried out some awesome new recipes, but it usually also included pecan pie.  Dad always made the mashed potatoes and fruit salad.

We would all sit down, pig out (but in a refined sort of way), and then roll ourselves out of the dining room to either nap, watch Cowboys football, laze around, or some combination of all three.  Some years I remember going for a walk, but I don't think we were that healthy most years!  :)

Some years we went to my grandparents in the country.  We had much of the same meal, except we didn't have turkey because my grandpa didn't like it.  He had too much of it during World War II, and didn't like to eat it anymore.  I always thought that was fascinating, like my grandpa had some secret mysterious past.  More pigging out and napping and so on....

I always loved Thanksgiving!  A day of thankfulness, lots of food, and time spent together relaxing is definitely my cup of tea!

Sundi

No comments:

Post a Comment